Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Richmonder Rises Through Richmond Police Ranks

From the age of 3, Stephen McQuail knew what he wanted to be when he grew up – a police officer.

In his nearly 15 years with Richmond Police, he not only has been that but also trained almost 100 new officers for the same career in law enforcement as a sergeant at the Richmond Police Training Academy.

Tomorrow, he will take another step in his law enforcement career as he is promoted to the rank of lieutenant. A promotional ceremony for McQuail will be 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 25, at the Training Academy, 1202 W. Graham Road. The media and the public are invited to attend.

“I have always thought that being a local police officer is one of the most honorable careers in law enforcement,” McQuail said. “I became a Richmond Police officer because I felt RPD could offer me a wide array of experiences. I have not been disappointed with my decision.”

A native Richmonder and raised in the Richmond area, McQuail made the decision to come back home to be a Richmond Police officer during his senior year at Virginia Tech. Since becoming a Richmond Police officer in September 1995, McQuail has worked the streets as a patrol officer in Third Precinct and was a detective in the Robbery Task Force/Street Crimes Unit. He was selected to become a member of the Department’s SWAT Team in 2002. He was promoted to sergeant in 2005.

Family has played an important role in McQuail’s policing career. “I would like to thank my wife, who has had to live with shift work, me being on call and missed holidays. She has always been encouraging and supportive of my career. I would like to thank my parents, who supported my decision to become a police officer. The values they instilled in me have made me who I am.”