Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Officer-Involved Shooting Downtown

July 25, 2017

The Richmond Police Department is investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred this morning in downtown Richmond. One person was killed and an RPD officer was wounded during the incident.

At approximately 9:31 a.m., RPD officers were alerted by a call to 911 of a man carrying a large knife and small axe behaving erratically near the Tredegar Iron Works. Using information provided by additional callers, they were able to track his whereabouts as he moved southward into the city. At approximately 10:00 a.m., they spotted him at the intersection of 3rd and East Main Streets.

The RPD officers attempted to speak to the man but, despite repeated attempts to de-escalate the situation using verbal commands, he refused to lay down his weapons. A Taser was deployed but was ineffective. When the man attacked the officers, two of them fired their service weapons striking the man.

He was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:31 a.m. The medical examiner will determine the exact cause and manner of death.

His name will be released once a positive identification has been made and next of kin notified.

An RPD officer, a male 12 year veteran of the Department, was also wounded during the incident. He was transported to a local hospital with a non-life threatening wound, treated and released.

The names of the RPD officers involved in the shooting will be released once a threat-assessment has been conducted and Chief Alfred Durham has reviewed a preliminary report of the incident.

“I am sorry about the loss of life that occurred today. I wish there had been a different outcome,” said Chief Alfred Durham. “But it is important to remember what my officers are dealing with at this time. They have been interviewed and placed on administrative leave. I will release their names once I am assured there is no threat of retaliation against them.”

The Department’s Force Investigation Team (FIT), comprised of homicide detectives, have begun their investigation. The detectives have secured the weapons of the officers involved in the incident, they have interviewed the officers and several eyewitnesses, and they will review body-worn camera videos taken by officers at the scene. That videos will not be released at this time as they are part of the on-going investigation.

Once completed, the final FIT report will be presented to Chief Durham and the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office.